Monday, February 23, 2015

The Dam Keeper (2014)



MIMDB score: 6.9
Current IMDB score: 8.0

Disclaimer: This is an animated short.

Why I liked it:
I wanted to watch it again immediately after seeing it.  It made me really happy to see something portrayed the way I have thought about things.  So many times I have taken things out of context and assumed the worst in a conversation I barely hear.  It's too easy to assume people are making fun of you when people often make fun of you.  Not that I'm made fun of much anymore but I definitely used to and the defensiveness doesn't wear off to easily.

What stands out:
The music.  Seeing that the movie had very little dialog the music needs to be fantastic and it is.  It's so contemplative.  I could write books to just the "theme" song of the movie.  It reminds me of the music my 1st grade teacher played for class during "journal" time.

What I would change (if anything):
I can't give this any more than a 6.9 because it's a little too weird for a 7 and above.  If they could have made it less weird but kept the message it would appeal to a broader audience instead of mostly crazy people like me.  Don't know if that is possible though.  Mary & Max has a 8.2 on IMDB which is way above how weird that movie is so I might be off there.

Favorite Line(s):
Narrator: "Dad had always said, the job of a Dam Keeper to keep the darkness away. But he never told me what to do when it surrounds you.  The mask had protected me from the crowd but nothing I had protected me from the people."

Favorite Scene: The scene from the picture above when Foxy Loxy (as I like to call him) finds his book next to Pig.  He acts like he didn't cherish every picture and ensure that it was there for him when he got on the bus.  He looks away and smiles.  That's exactly how I would act and I love it when I do things like that. It's like how Amelie secretly does things for people.

Similar Movies/Tv Shows: Amelie, Mary & Max, Chicken Little maybe? (even though I haven't seen it), this Levi's commercial.

Side note: You can actually watch it here: Amazon Instant Video for $1.99.  It took me awhile to find it because at the time it wasn't out anywhere. Also their website is a little gem.  You can just listen to the theme song and you know, write books.

No comments:

Post a Comment