Sunday, February 1, 2015

Introduction to movie reviews (2015)

What this blog is and what it intends to do.  Mission statement of sorts.

Disclaimer: The opinion expressed in this blog are mine.  Everything stated in this blog are complete truth.  It's meant to offend everyone that reads it in every way imaginable.  But seriously opinions are opinions and aren't meant to upset anyone.

Every movie review done by me was done after at least the second viewing and done while watching it at least the second time (usually will be more than two viewings).  Every review will have common headings that I would like to hear about movies myself that hopefully others will enjoy.  There will probably be spoilers and I didn't tip-toe around giving away anything.  I just said what I wanted too.

The idea also will hopefully be to better express my thoughts as well as become a better writer in general.  Good luck to me.

A description of what MIMDB score is and a description of IMDB ratings.  IMDB is a website that I know and trust.  I have my user profile linked here if you care to look at how I've rated things.  It's not as highly regarded as other sites that I don't understand like MetaCritic and RottenTomatoes. I've never used those sites so I won't talk about those rating systems as I don't think I understand those.  IMDB is based on popularity.  That's the main goal of it I think.  Others don't agree with a rating because they don't like a particular movie but it's a popular vote so that's the way it is.  Sometimes you don't like the popular movies.  MIMDB is what I think it will end up getting in the long run.  There is bias involved in all ratings/reviews and I try to remove that bias in MIMDB.  IMDB has bias of movies when for instance they just come out.  Most movies will either be higher or lower than they should because not enough people have rated the movie.  Low numbers/early voting bias type of thing.  I will generally describe my view of IMDB ratings in the following way:

1-5, These are movies that you will probably not like, especially more than once.  These are movies I have on when doing other things.  I know they are probably going to be bad so I just half watch them usually.  They sometimes have one or two good scenes.  There's one or two that will be unfairly rated because of whatever bias there is in the world but for the most part these won't have much redeeming qualities and will be hard to get through.  Especially the 1-4's.  5's have a closer chance at least being watchable enough.

6, These movies are good enough to watch once to some people.  There might be a few movies that everyone will need to see once but for the most part they are just kind of enjoyable to some people.  They are right below a 7.  To be a 7 they would need some reworking or would never make it in some cases.  Some movies aren't made to be good quality movies.  Some are just made for art and things like Birdman for instance should really be a 6.* instead of what it is.

7, These movies are good.  Everyone will enjoy this movie the first time they watch it.  If you can think of a person that wouldn't like it the first time through then it should be below a 7.  This is why a movie like Birdman in MIMDB should be below a 7.  7's are movies everyone should watch once as well.  They might not enjoy like them because they don't like that genre or whatever but they are movies good enough that they will be in pop-culture and you will need to have seen it to understand jokes/conversations later.

8, These movies are great.  These are the movies you would want to watch at least twice (if not more).  These are movies you should recommend to everyone because at the minimum people will enjoy them the first time no matter what.  Movies like Inception come to mind.  If you didn't enjoy that movie the first time then stop reading my blog.  Definitely don't rate movies on IMDB as you are messing up the rating system.

9, These movies are beyond great.  They are really near perfect.  They are movies that are so interesting it probably changes your life a little but also entertain you.  What you learned from the movie you think about it at least once a week type of thing.  There's only a few of these ever made because it's hard to get up this high.

10, These are not movies.  Just as in life, movies can't achieve perfection.  Based on how averages work everyone that rated this movie would have to give it a 10 which is impossible really.  The only way a movie could get a 10 is if it changed for each person that watched it which then it wouldn't really be a movie I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment