Friday, August 7, 2015

Atonement (2007)


MIMDB score: 7.0
Current IMDB score: 7.8
Director: Joe Wright
Main Actors you care about: Keira Knightly, James McAvoy, Benedict Cumberbatch

Why I liked it: The scene.  Most of the movie is a 6.7ish probably as it's not super great.  The scene though. . . .  I think it's worth watching just for the scene so I have it at a flat 7.

What stands out: The scene

Favorite Line(s)/Scene:
The only reason to review this movie is the beach scene.  "It's like something out of the bible."  This maybe the best scene ever done in a movie.   If you didn't watch it you need to watch it before I go on.

I'll assume you watched it.  Notice the scene is all in one take.  No cuts.  Just beauty for five minutes straight.  The music.  It makes me want to cry when they pan across the soldiers singing the hymn.  The music coupled with the hymn with the visual of the ferris wheel near a beach is a spectacular scene.  Notice the solider hanging on to the ferris wheel as it goes around.  There's so many things to look for in this scene.  There's so many metaphors and eloquent beauty in this scene.

My favorite metaphor I"ll point out is that the whole scene is in my belief suppose to be purgatory.  All of the soldiers are waiting for where to go next.  They are soldiers so they have probably killed other people but they did it in the name of goodness.  So they would be candidates for purgatory I would think.  The main character really dies in the movie so he could really be in purgatory.  "It's a scene out of the bible." I just think it's really beautiful.

Similar Movies/TV Shows: The Fountain's walking scene.

"Side" note: The beach scene was all filmed in one day as a tracking shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment