Tuesday, April 28, 2015

In Good Company (2004)


MIMDB score: 7.0
Current IMDB score: 6.5
Director: Paul Weitz
Main Actors you care about:  Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, Scarlett Johansson, Selma Blair, Ty Burrell

Why I liked it:
This movie has a feeling attached to it.  That everything "is what it is kind" of thing. It addresses business greediness to make everything more profitable instead of realizing the business being about the people that make it up.  If the people LOVE working at a company and LOVE what they are doing then the business will shine and do better and be more profitable.  Probably not more profitable that it could be if the business didn't focus on the people but then no one would really want to work there.  They would just be like slaves.  I don't think that's a long lasting way to run a business when this movie concludes things going back to the way it was.  Which this movie does a beautiful and easily missed comparison between that and love with the main character of Topher Grace.  He tries so very hard at making his relationship with Selma Blair which is kind of how the new company is.  Scarlett Johnansson is kind of like the old company.  Just all around wholesomely good.  Topher is transitioning over to that mentality and therefore shouldn't be with either girl at the time.  By the end of the movie he actually satisfied with his life which is portrayed by him running on the beach while one of the best songs ever written plays. It's quite fantastic.

What stands out:
Dennis Quad's character is fantastic.  Topher does well but his character isn't great till the very end.

What I Would Change (if anything) : I can't think of anything but I will say the following since we are on the subject.  It's not much higher than a seven flat.  It doesn't do much for most people I think.  Most people will see it as a run of the mill movie which why I think it has a current IMDB score of 6.5.  I think it should be higher though as it does do some cool metaphors and has some good scenes.
 
Favorite Line(s)/Scene: Ending scene.  It was my first listening to Trapeze Swinger by Iron and Wine.

Carter Duryea: "For what it's worth, I enjoy talking to you more than anyone else."
:), good line but probably could be said by anyone to who they are currently dating.

Least Favorite Line (maybe)" Morty: "Timing is everything in life."  I don't know if I believe that is true and I can't make up my mind either way.  I hope it's not because I don't like what that leads to.  It does fit well with Topher Grace's relationships with Selma Blair and Scarlett Johansson though so I didn't put it in the "What I Would Change" section.

Similar Movies/TV Shows: Kind of reminds me of Elizabeth Town. The Company Men. Maybe Moneyball.

"Side" note: The "normal" dad from Modern Family (Ty Burrell) was in this.  How cool.  He's does the eye twitching thing has he does in real life in this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment