Monday, March 16, 2015

Forrest Gump (1994)


MIMDB score: 9.1
Current IMDB score: 8.8
Directory: Robert Zemeckis
Main Actors you care about:  Tom Hanks, Sally Field, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise

Disclaimer:  This is one of the best movies ever made.

Why I liked it:
Everything.  Forrest Gump is one of the best characters ever crafted.  He's "dumb" but not in any sense that matters.  He's slow but he's also fast.  He's so small but he plays such a large role in history.  The duality of this character has so many domains there could be a college class on everything that is going on with Forrest Gump.  The plot is fantastic, the acting is fantastic, the music is fantastic.  It also has philosophy thrown in it.  You should either be entertained or be entertained by the thoughts this movie provokes.  I don't know what else you would want in a movie.

This movie makes me want to live more.  This movie makes me want to start a business, cut grass, eat chocolates, sit on a bench all day just talking to random people, and then at the end write a book about my life.

What stands out:
The story.  The movie makes you want to be Forrest Gump even though he is institutionally considered below average.  He excels on all things without trying.  All he does is follow simple rules and does what others tell him.  People make life so much harder than it needs to be.  "But if I do this then I have to do that which means that to that person and . . . ."  It's tiresome to get into all the nuisances of life.  All you really need to do is cut grass and you will have a happy life. If that's how you view life.  If you view life as this complicated mess than you will have a complicated mess of a life.

If people paid attention (even) more to any medium of art then their lives might be that much easier and better.  People get different things out of different pieces of art.  That might get into people seeing what they want but if you really look at movies like Forrest Gump your life should get better.  There are thought avenues to go down in this movie that should dictate how to live your life.  Just as an easy and light example if you are chasing some kids on a bike and throwing rocks at him you probably should realize that you are being mean for no good reason.  If you need to figure out what to do next in life just pick up a hobby like running or ask the people around you if they want to start a business.  Pay attention to what's going on around you and the decisions you are making instead of "operating on your default setting."

What I would change (if anything): Nothing, I wish Jenny would have figured her life out sooner but then the movie wouldn't have been as interesting. So again, nothing.
 
Favorite Line(s)/Scene: Forrest: "I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time." This is a fantastic quote.  It ties into his whole life as well as the beginning and end of the movie where you are following a feather float accidental-like on a breeze.

Of course: "Life's a box of chocolates, Forrest. You never know what you're gonna get." Countless others.

This scene is amazing.
Jenny: Were you scared in Vietnam?
Forrest: Yes. Well, I-I don't know. Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out... and then it was nice. It was like just before the sun goes to bed down on the bayou. There was always a million sparkles on the water... like that mountain lake. It was so clear, Jenny, it looked like there were two skies one on top of the other. And then in the desert, when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heaven stopped and the earth began. It's so beautiful.
Jenny: I wish I could've been there with you.
Forrest: You were.
Every girl I've loved I've had in my head with me since watching this movie.  I don't know love any other way.

Similar Movies/TV Shows: Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons, A River Runs Through It, Meet Joe Black, Big Fish

"Side" note: The bench scene is in Savannah Georgia.  The bench was made for the movie and was removed after shooting.  You can still visit the park and the statue behind Forrest in that scene though.

This is one of the first movies I saw without my parents in theaters at the age of about 9.  It's also one of the first movies I remember crying during.  I really think it should be watched alone unless, of course, you are lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment