Sunday, February 12, 2017

Serendipity (2001)

(This is an awful poster but I couldn't find a better one.  I think a poster with the elevator buttons and 23 is lit would have been a better poster)

MIMDB score: 7.1
Current IMDB score: 6.9
Director: Peter Chelsom
Main Actors you care about: John Cusack, Kate Beckinsale, Jeremy Piven

Why I liked it: I'm about to head to New York and I was going back through all the New York movies and I when I saw this movie I thought well I surely have reviewed this movie.  I hadn't apparently.  This movie is quite good.  I think it captures a lot of about life and love very well.  When a movie can put into "life" what you are feeling but haven't fully figured out I think it easily makes the movie good.  It kind of questions if fate exists but I guess concludes that it does.

Unfortunately I don't think it's amazing movie which is why I'm only giving it a 7.1.  I just really like it for bias reasons I'm sure.

What stands out: John Cusack might be the best romantic comedy comedian lead in my lifetime.  Sorry if you were born in the 90s and don't understand that.  Between this and like High Fidelity and Say Anything and Sixteen Candles and Better off Dead . . . .

Thing(s) I would change:  I don't know if they really had a strong enough connection to warrant doubting there love for there fiances.  They met once (maybe twice if you count having to go back to the restaurant) and didn't show as having all that much in common.  They didn't really get to know each other and kind of just thought each other were good looking I assume.  I think I might like it better if they spent more time there to establish a better starting connection and not just a one day (and brief) meeting.  Like the movie Before Sunrise spent the whole move on their day they met and wanted to come back to met each other.  It's much more believable in Before Sunset that they think about each other based on that one day meeting.

Favorite Line(s)/Scene:
"Maybe we're lying here because you don't wanna be standing somewhere else."  I love this line.  Hopefully it's self explanatory.

There is a deleted scene on the DVD version in the Serendipity restaurant called "cubing".  She walks John Cusack through a sort of Rorschach thought experiment that is suppose to tell you about the person.  It's rather interesting.  Also in that deleted scene you can see that the devil that later pushes all the elevator buttons is at the restaurant as well.  Makes me wonder if they really needed to take that scene out.

Lars! He's a funny character.  He's like the perfect OK boyfriend.  Girls stereotypically love musicians right.  Oh, he's a flutist though (shehnai to be exact)? His ring doesn't fit. His box proposal.

Similar Movies/TV Shows: A Lot Like Love, When Harry Met Sally, Before Sunrise/Sunset, Forrest Gump but only a little, 500 days of Summer.

"Side" note: "Oh my GAWD this frozen hot chocolate is so good."  Bullcrap!  If you go to Serendipity's in New York DO NOT GET THE HOT CHOCOLATE!  It's rubbish!  The sundae's are where it's at for desserts.  The frozen hot chocolates tastes like a Frosty which you can get from Wendy's at anytime.  The sundae's have a piece of pie stuck in them.  They are amazing compared to the frozen hot chocolate.  Humble pie sundae is my favorite.  Also the High heel pump is my favorite thing to eat there for non-desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment