Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Back to the Future 1-3 (1985-1990)


MIMDB score: 8.8, 8.0, 7.1
Current IMDB score: 8.5, 7.8, 7.4
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Main Actors you care about: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson

Why I liked it: Maybe one of the most entertaining portrayals of time travel.  I think if backwards time travel existed it wouldn't exactly work like this but I think it's one of if not the most entertaining portrayals of it.  I think all the movies in the "similar" section besides Time Machine needed Back to the Future to exist for people to think of there plot.  A future movie has yet to provide the amount of entertainment for me that these movies gave me.  John Williams's theme is way too good.  On par with the feeling you get from the Star Wars theme.

What stands out: The plot for sure.  The music for sure.  The acting is good enough.  The small jokes like "heavy" are awesome.  The recurrent events like manure on the Biff character is great.  I guess if you didn't like the movies they would seem repetitive but I think it gets at the underlying message about change maybe.  Maybe it's the movie's way of saying you can only change so many things when time traveling.  Maybe it's the movie's way of saying you can only change so many things in your own life and that some things don't change no matter what you do.


Thing(s) I would change: I don't get the chicken thing.  It's like Marty gets called a chicken and then all hell breaks loose in his mind and he can't think correctly.  In real life that probably be his down fall.  In the last one the address it and he changes which I guess is his character growth but I think it's lame.  I think there is a better way of showing character growth in Marty.

Favorite Line(s)/Scene:
Younger Dr. Emmett Brown: [running out of the room] 1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
(Of course)

Marty McFly: Whoa. Wait a minute, Doc. Are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots for me?
Dr. Emmett Brown: Precisely.
Marty McFly: Whoa. This is heavy.
Dr. Emmett Brown: There's that word again. "Heavy." Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?

Marty McFly: [to Uncle Joey as a baby, playing in his playpen] So you're my Uncle Joey. Better get used to these bars, kid.

Dr. Emmett Brown: Then tell me, future boy, who's President of the United States in 1985?
Marty McFly: Ronald Reagan.
Dr. Emmett Brown: Ronald Reagan? The actor?

Stella Baines: You know, Marty, you look so familiar to me. Do I know your mother?
Marty McFly: [turning to look at Lorraine, his mother in the future] Yeah, I think maybe you do...

Dr. Emmett Brown: It's gonna be really hard waiting 30 years before I can talk to you about everything that's happened in the past few days. I'm really gonna miss you, Marty.
I didn't notice this but I guess that's hopefully how Doc choice Marty to be the one to go back in time.  It's not like they ever really explain there relationship besides he just kind hangs out with some old science guy.

Doc: The time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe: women!
True Dat!

Young Biff: Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?
Old Biff: It's *leave*, you idiot! "Make like a tree, and leave." You sound like a damn fool when you say it wrong.
I feel like without this joke the Boondock Saints wouldn't have made its joke.

Doc: Marty, you're going to have to do something about those clothes. You walk around town dressed like that, you're liable to get shot.
Marty McFly: [gesturing a rope around his neck, weakly] Or hanged.
Doc: What idiot dressed you in that outfit?
Marty McFly: [smiles weakly] You did.

Marty McFly: Mr. Strickland! Mr. Strickland. It- it- it's me, sir. It's Marty!
S. S. Strickland: Who?
Marty McFly: [terrified] Marty McFly! Marty McFly! Don't you know me, sir? From school, sir!
S. S. Strickland: I've never seen you before in my life, but you look to me like a slacker!
See, these jokes never get old. . . .

Doc: Sometime today, old Biff will show up to give young Biff the Almanac. Above all, you must not interfere with that event. We must let Old Biff believe he succeeded, so that he'll leave 1955 and bring the DeLorean back to the future.
Good time thinking.

Doc: And in the future, we don't need horses. We have motorized carriages called automobiles.
Saloon Old Timer #3: If everybody's got one of these auto-whatsits, does anybody walk or run anymore?
Doc: Of course we run. But for recreation. For fun.
Saloon Old Timer #3: Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?
Amen Saloon Old Timer #3

Man the hover board scene.  I'm not talking about the first one in the future but the second one in the past in the tunnel.  That amazed me when I first watched it.  I feel like this is amazing.  This type of scene where the protagonist needs something in the car happens in a bunch of movies and this one does it near perfectly.

Similar Movies/TV Shows: Donnie Darko, any time traveling movie really, so Time Machine, Looper, Predestination, Terminator 1 and 2, Butterfly Effect, Interstellar, and even Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  There's a bunch more but those were entertaining to me.  I feel like Back to the Future was a time travel genre staple which is why I'm reviewing it.

"Side" note:
Marty McFly: [showing the two boys how to play the shoot 'em up video game] I'll show you, kid. I'm a crack shot at this.
[shoots a perfect score with the electronic gun]
Video Game Boy #1: You mean you have to use your hands?
Video Game Boy #2: That's like a baby's toy!
Video Game Boy #1 is Elijah Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment